November 28, 2007

Banana Cafe

One day speaking with my boss he suggested I find a good Latin restaurant that served Cuban &/or Puerto Rican food that would remind him of home (he is Cuban raised in Puerto Rico). Well I passed this place one day and figured it would be a good place to check out. He checked out the menu before we invited the whole division to dinner and he agreed that the menu was authentic Latin Food.

We got there and the decor seemed to have caught my co-workers a little off guard. The decor seems a bit eccentric and loud, and not necessarily the classiests, but it was friendly and definitely somewhere to come casual and catch up with the family or friends for cheap eats, cheap drinks and a good time. The atmosphere was lighthearted and everyone in the place seemed to be having a really good time.

The menu had a little bit of everything on there chimichangas, Paella (My fave but they had Chorizo in it so I couldn't order it), Relleno, Enchiladas, Burritos, and some authentic Puerto Rican dishes. While waiting for the drinks and food the waiter brought out some chips and salsa, and the whole table just demolished the salsa and chips. My boss had the Ropa Viejo (rice with shredded beef flank) and was thoroughly impressed and claimed it reminded him of home. The table ordered a couple of pitchers of the margaritas which I must say were GREAT! I ordered the Camarones Andaluz (sauteed shrimp and vegetables in a white wine sauce) and I completely savored the dish.

My thoughts: RUN to this place and try it out. You don't have to dress up to feel comfortable and you can kick back enjoy the atmosphere, margaritas and the cheap eats. Definitely a must!

Latin Cuisine (Cuban/Puerto Rican)
Located in the Eastern Market District
Price Range $7-35

http://www.bananacafedc.com/menu.htm

Banana Cafe & Piano Bar in Washington

No comments: